The National Veterinary Technician Week is an excellent time of the year to show veterinary technicians how much you appreciate their work and dedication. Veterinary technicians are critical to the everyday function of veterinary practices and their role in preserving animal health and welfare is crucial. Hence, the Vet Tech Appreciation Week is the perfect opportunity to recognize veterinary technicians’ contributions. However, many people don’t know how important the role of vet techs is and why they should appreciate their work. So, let’s take a closer look at ten reasons why we should show appreciation for all the veterinary technicians.
When is Vet Tech Appreciation Week?
The Vet Tech Appreciation Week is an annual event which takes place in the third week of October each year. This year, it will happen on October 13-19, 2019. It was first celebrated in 1993 and it is focused on vet techs and their hard work. Last year, the National Veterinary Technician Week happened between October 14 and 20. In 2017, it took place between October 16 and 22, while in 2016 it was held between October 17 and 23.
During this week, veterinary technicians and their colleagues organize or take part in events, which aim in educating the public about their work. Moreover, these events serve for booting the professionalism in the veterinarian field, as well as, developing a higher value of the veterinary profession.
10 Reasons Why You Should Appreciate Your Vet Tech
So, it’s very important to show your gratitude to your vet tech. Everyone thinks that veterinarians do all the work, but in fact, vet tech are the ones who do most of the hard work. If you aren’t still convinced, these are the reason why you should appreciate your vet tech:
- They are highly skilled.
- Vet techs keep veterinarians on track.
- They have a dirty job.
- Their job can be dangerous as they can be scratched or bitten by an animal.
- They love your pet when you can’t be there.
- Vet techs are overworked, underappreciated, and underpaid professionals in the veterinary field.
- They spend most of the day talking to clients and teaching them everything they know about animals.
- Vet techs are truly the most patient, understanding, caring people you will ever meet.
- They deal with mutual frustration on a daily basis, while staying focused on the pet’s best interests.
- These professionals spend most of their time at work watching a helpless animal be in pain.
This is only a small number of reasons why you should say thank you to these unsung heroes. Veterinary technicians are a crucial part of the veterinary team and their work is quite challenging. The least they deserve is a simple thank you. But if you decide to get them something for the Vet Tech Week, you should look for vet tech week gift ideas.